Bentley's 100th anniversary was one of the biggest events in 2019 for car enthusiasts who enjoy remembering its exciting history, participating in celebratory events in its honor around the world, expressing their respect for the brand through elegant style details inspired by Flying B, such as our Bentley 8 Litre collector's tie.
The prestige of this iconic British style and racing brand is great, having created unforgettable models over the last century, capable of influencing the very evolution of automotive history thanks to their power to inspire with breathtaking design, high craftsmanship and exhilarating performance. We've chosen 10 that symbolize as many moments to remember of these wonderful 100 years of Bentley:
- The 1921 Bentley 3 1/2 Litre, designed by W.O. himself, was the first creature of Bentley Motors Ltd. It was powered by a three-litre, four-cylinder aluminium engine. In 1924, driven by Woolf Barnato, it won its first Bentley title at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- Bentley 4 1/2 litre of 1926, deadly on the track and so emblematic as to be driven by James Bond in the first three novels of the 007 series by Ian Fleming: Casino Royale, Live and Let Die and Moonraker.
- Bentley Blower No.1 One-seater, 1928. It was a supercharged version of the 4½ Litre designed with the intention of breaking any speed record. And it did: on the Brooklands circuit it reached the supersonic speed of 222.03 km/h.
- Bentley Speed Six of 1930, winner of a historic speed race against the Blue Train on the Cannes-Calais route. It became one of the symbols of the new performance offered by the car.
- Bentley 8 Litre of 1931, one of the masterpieces of the brand, emblem of luxury exceptional performance. This rare model is the star of the pure silk collector's tie we made for the Bentley centenary celebration at the Pebble Beach® 2019 Concours d'Elegance.
- Bentley Corniche of 1939 was the second model produced in the Rolls-Royce phase with an all-steel bodywork, as well as Bentley's first post-war luxury car.
- 1995 Mulsanne Azure wins several billionaires worldwide with timeless style.
- 2006 Continental GT, the first car of the Volkswagen era and a real gran turismo, designed under German supervision. We had the opportunity to test it on the curves and slopes of the hills of Bologna and it was a superlative experience.
- EXP Speed 8, the first car to bring Bentley back to victory after seventy-three years of absence from sporting competitions. The track was the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the crew consisted of Dindo Capello, Tom Kristensen and Guy Smith.
- Bentley EXP 100 GT, launched in 2019 on the occasion of its centenary, embodies and exalts to the nth power the values of luxury and innovation of a brand that has every intention of continuing to play a leading role in the future of the car.
- Tony Large/shutterstock.com
- 1929 Bentley 4 12 litre Thrupp & Maberly tourer 3829555062.jpg by Peter Hanna is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0
- Bentley FR5189 by Adam Singer licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0
- 1930 Bentley Speed Six Nutting Coupe 3828596053.jpg by Peter Hanna is licensed under CC-BY-2.0
- 1931 Bentley 8 litre Vanden Plas Tourer 3.jpg by Craig Howell is licensed under CC-BY-2.0
- Niall Julian/shutterstock.com
- Foto by M/shutterstock.com
- Sajin Park for The Outlierman © 2019
- Bentley EXP Speed 8 by Jon Hillenbrand is licensed under CC-BY-2.0
- The Bentley Concept Car by Steve Corey is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0